American Visa Bureau   »   American Immigration   »   Work Visa   »  P1 Athletes and Group Entertainers Visa

P-1 Visa: Athletes and Group Entertainers

The P-1 visa is available for individual athletes, athletes who perform as part of a team or person or persons who perform as part of an entertainment group.

The P-1 Athletes Visa

The P-1 (Individual or team athletes) visa is suitable for individual or team athletes that have gained international recognition and seeking to enter the United States to compete in a competitive sporting event.

This also includes promotional appearances and can be valid for an entire season.

Individual athletes may be admitted for up to 5 years initially. One extension of up to 5 years is allowed. There are no travel restrictions on a P-1 visa, allowing the athlete to enter and leave the country as they please.

Group athletes may be admitted for a maximum of one year or the time needed to complete the competition, event or performance. Extensions may be given in one-year increments.

P-1 athletes may also engage in part time study whilst in the United States.

For more information on athletes elegibility for a P-1 visa, see our P-1 visa frequently asked questions page.

Separate P-visa classifications exist for essential support personnel such as coaches, scouts, trainers and other team officials as well as for group entertainers and artists and entertainers participating in an exchange program or culturally unique program.

P1 Group Entertainers

Entertainment groups only are eligible to apply for the P-1 visa; this class is not for individual artists.

The group's achievements must be recognized internationally as outstanding, and the group must be coming to the U.S. to perform services that require such recognition.

Seventy-five percent of the members of the group must have had a sustained and substantial relationship with the group for at least 1 year and must provide functions integral to the group's performance, although this may be waived if one member is being replaced due to illness or other extraordinary circumstances and they perform a crucial role.

A U.S. employer or US based agent must sponsor the applicants P1 visa, and an initial visa grant may allow a stay in the U.S. of up to 1year.

For more information on performance groups elegibility for a P-1 visa, see our P-1 visa frequently asked questions page.