Canadian Visa Bureau   »   Visas and Immigration   »   Working Holiday Visa Canada   »   Requirements   »  Working Holiday FAQ

Gap Year in Canada FAQ

Below are some frequently asked question about taking a gap year in Canada:
Q: I am a citizen of the UK Is there a gap year/working holiday program for me?

A: The Canadian High Commission in London is responsible for WHP applications from citizens of the UK. Information is available on the Canadian Visa Bureau website under the section titled Europe.

Q: I am a citizen of a country other than Australia, New Zealand or the U.K. Is there a working holiday program for me?

A: The Canadian Visa Bureau website has information on the Canadian Working Holiday Program for the following countries/regions: Europe, Australasia, America, Japan and Korea.

Q: I am 17 years old / I am 32 years old. Can I apply for WHP Canada?

A: No, you do not meet the criteria for the WHP Canada and should not lodge an application. In general, you must be aged 18-30 years inclusive to be eligible. Your application must be stamped as received by the Canadian Consulate General in your home country on or after your 18th birthday, or on or prior to your 31st birthday.

Q: Is there minimum passport validity?

A: Yes. You should ensure your passport is valid for at least 14 months from the date you apply. The Canadian Consulate General in Sydney will not issue a Letter of Introduction valid for a period which exceeds the validity of your current passport.

Q: I have previously been issued a place on the WHP Canada. Can I work in Canada again?

A: While you cannot apply to the WHP Canada again, you could still work in Canada if you have a confirmed job offer. You will need to secure an offer of employment from Canada and have your employer contact Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) for a confirmation.