Canadian Visa Bureau   »   Canadian Visas and Immigration   »  Canada Study Permit

Canada Study Permit

More than 130,000 students come to study in Canada every year. In addition to this number are many more that come to Canada to learn English or French.

Most foreign students will need a Study Permit to study in Canada. There are some exceptions:

If you wish to study in a short-term course or program:
You do not need a Study Permit if you are planning to take a course or program in Canada with duration of 6 months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorised for your stay in Canada.
If you are a minor child already in Canada:
You do not need a Study Permit if you are a minor child already in Canada, and your parents are not visitors to Canada.
Foreign representatives to Canada:
If you are a family or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, you do not need a Study Permit to study.

Benefits of Having a Study Permit

You should apply for a Study Permit before you come to Canada if you think you may wish to continue your studies in another program after you complete the short-term course or program. If you do not have a valid Study Permit and wish to continue your studies, you will have to leave Canada in order to apply for one.

Medical Examinations

If you are planning on being in Canada for more than 6 months as a student, you may require a medical examination. UK students are not required to have medical exams. They are required to have Study Permits though.

Many other countries are on Canada's Designated Country/Territory List for medical examinations. Before you apply for a Canadian Study Permit, you should visit the Designated Country/Territory List to see if you require a medical examination.