Australian Visa Bureau   »   Visas and Immigration   »   Spouse and Family Visas   »   Parent Visa   »  Parent Visa Questions

Contributory Parent Visa Questions

Visa Bureau is not affiliated with the Australian Government but is an independent UK company. Australian visas are available from the Australian Government at a lower cost or for free when you apply directly. Our comprehensive visa and immigration services include immigration advice from registered migration agents, an exceptional success rate, document checking and visa processing.

Below are some common questions regarding Parent Migration and how to obtain a Parent Visa to Australia:

Q: How can I stay with my child who lives permanently in Australia?

A: There are 2 visa categories available to parents of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen wishing to migrate to Australia:

If you would like to live permanently in Australia, and you are the parent of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, you may apply for a visa in either of these 2 categories.

Q: What are the major differences between the Parent category and the Contributory Parent category?

A: The major differences between the 2 categories are that:

Q: What are the requirements that I must meet to migrate as a parent?

A: To be granted a visa in the Parent category, generally you must satisfy the following requirements.

Have a child, who is:

Pass the balance of family test:

Satisfy certain public interest criteria:

If you are applying from within Australia, you will also need to meet the age requirements for the Aged Parent Visa.

In addition, to make an acceptable application for a visa in the Parent category, you must also withdraw any previous parent application that has not yet been decided by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).