Australian Visa Bureau   »   Visas and Immigration   »   Australia Working Holiday Visa   »  Second Year Visa

Second Year Visa - Applying for a Second Year Working Holiday Visa

Visa Bureau is not affiliated with the Australian Government but is a website.

Applying for an Australian Second Working Holiday Visa

The Australia Second Working Holiday Visa, also known as the WHM Visa, gives young people between the ages of 18 and 30 the opportunity to enjoy another year in Australia on a working holiday.

Visas for Second Working Holidays can now be applied for online. To confirm your eligibility, complete an online assessment.

What are the conditions of the Australian Second Working Holiday Visa?

The scheme gives Second Working Holiday Visa holders casual work rights in order to supplement their travels. Work undertaken must be incidental to the main purpose of holidaying and employment for more than 6 months with any one employer is not allowed. The application for a the Second Working Holiday Visa may be made on or offshore (i.e. in or outside of Australia).

Second Working Holiday Visa Australia - Basic Requirements

Second Working Holiday Visa Australia - Health and Character Requirements

What counts as 'specified work' in Australia?

There are many different industries you can work in to become eligible for a second year visa including agriculture in such industries as harvesting, cultivation, processing as well as others such as forestry, fishing and pearling, mining and some sectors of the construction industry.

A full list of which occupations are eligible can be found on our specified work page.

While any of these jobs are suitable, by far the most common way of obtaining your second year visa is seasonal farm work - you can find more information about where to look for these jobs on our Farm Work Australia page.

We also post jobs most week days to our twitter feed, and republish these on our Working Holiday Jobs page.

What areas count as regional Australia?

You must complete your seasonal work in one of the specified areas in Australia, fortunately, you can complete your specified work in any state. Every state has its own specified postcodes which are eligible as regional Australia, some states such as South Australia and Tasmania count as regional Australia in their entirety, while others such as Western Australia simply require you to avoid the more populated areas like Perth.

A full list of postcodes eligible for a second year visa can be found on our regional Australia page. 

Apply Here For a Working Holiday Visa Click Here to Apply Online for your Second Australian Working Holiday Visa

What evidence do I need to support my application?

You will need to be able to prove that you completed the requirement before your second year visa is granted. You can do this by providing evidence with your application.

The evidence can include, but is not limited to the following:

Warning: There have been reports recently that people are simply paying for evidence in order to avoid completing the requirement. However, this is inadvisable as the Australian government has recently stepped up their efforts to tackle this abuse and if caught, you could face not only a lifetime ban from Australia but also from New Zealand and the United States.

You can read more about this here.

When should I submit my application?

Like with your first working holiday visa, the process is relatively quick and straightforward. However, you will obviously need at least three months to complete the work requirement. Additionally, the average processing time for the second year visa is currently two to six weeks, so you should make sure to start the application process at least 28 days before your first visa expires to account for any difficulties that could arise.

Once your application has been granted, you will have one year to activate the visa; you can do this by simply entering Australia.

Alternatively, if you are in Australia (onshore) when you lodge your application and do not leave, your second year visa will automatically come into effect when your first year application expires.

Apply Here For a Working Holiday Visa Click Here to Apply Online for your Second Australian Working Holiday Visa