Australian Visa Bureau   »   Visas and Immigration   »  Australia Working Holiday Visa

Australia Working Holiday Visa: Working in Australia

Visa Bureau is not affiliated with the Australian Government but is a website.

Applying for an Australian Working Holiday Visa

The Australia Working Holiday Visa, also known as the WHM Visa, gives young people between the ages of 18 and 30 (35 for Canadian and Irish Citizens) the opportunity to enjoy working holidays (i.e. an extended stay supplemented by working in Australia) for up to 24 months

Visas for Working Holidays can now be applied for online. To confirm your eligibility, complete an online assessment.

What are the conditions of the Australian Working Holiday Visa?

The scheme gives Australia Working Holiday Visa holders casual work rights in order to supplement their travels. Work undertaken must be incidental to the main purpose of holidaying and employment for more than 6 months with any one employer is not allowed. The application for a first Working Holiday Visa must be made offshore (i.e. not in Australia).

Working Holiday Visa Australia - Basic Requirements

Working Holiday Visa Australia - Health and Character Requirements

For more information on the basic requirements for an Australia Working Holiday Visa, please choose the relevant pages, including frequently asked questions on the Australia Working Holiday Visa.

How can a Working Holiday Visa be extended?

The Government will allow Working Holiday Visa holders the opportunity to apply for a second Working Holiday Visa provided they have worked as a specified worker in regional Australia for 3 months.

Australia Working Holiday Visa holders working in Australia in several primary industries, including plant / animal cultivation, fishing, tree farming, mining and construction work, will be defined as 'specified workers' and be eligible to apply for a second working holiday visa, thus extending their trip from 12 months to 24. Applications for a second Australia Working Holiday Visa can be made both offshore and onshore in Australia.

Need help deciding which visa you need? 

Still confused about which travel visa you require for your trip to Australia?  Use our fast, easy online travel visa advisor to find out exactly which visas you are eligible for when travelling to Australia.

Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462)

Travellers from the United States should note that while they are not eligible for the Australian Working Holiday Visa, they can instead apply for the Australian Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462).

The Australian Work and Holiday Visa is very similar to the Australian Working Holiday Visa in many ways, but is open to several other countries. However the Australian Visa Bureau only handles Work and Holiday Visa applications from United States passport holders.