Australian Visa Bureau   »   Visas and Immigration   »   Australia Student Visa   »  Non-award Student Visa

Non-Award Sector Student Visa (subclass 575)

Visa Bureau is not affiliated with the Australian Government but is a website.

This visa is designed for international students who want to study the following courses in Australia:

Exception: If you are studying a non-award course as a pre-requisite to another course, you must apply for the visa appropriate for your main course of study. If you are studying several courses, the main course is the higher level course.

Example: If you plan to complete a three-month non-award foundation studies course before starting a Bachelor of Arts degree, you must apply for the Higher Education Sector visa.

Visa Duration

With the Non-Award Sector Student Visa (sublass 575), you can study and live in Australia for as long as you are enrolled in a course registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

You must also maintain satisfactory attendance in your course as required by your education provider and make satisfactory course progress for each study period.

Your education provider will advise the department if your attendance or course progress is not satisfactory. The definition of 'satisfactory' is determined by your education provider.

Eligible dependant family members can also accompany you to Australia, and your partner can study in Australia for up to three months.

Note: Some Non-Award Sector Student Visas are issued with a 'no further stay' condition. This condition means that you cannot apply to stay in Australia beyond the date specified on your visa, except in extremely limited circumstances.

Conditions of Work

Provided you have commenced your course of study in Australia, you can work up to

Your family members can work up to 20 hours per week provided you have commenced your course of study in Australia

Financial Requirements

You must maintain enough money to pay for travel, tuition and living expenses for yourself, your partner and your dependent children for the duration of your stay in Australia.

You must also maintain health insurance for you and your family members while in Australia. Health insurance can be provided by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance.