Migration to Australia will now be regulared by the Office of the MARA.
13 August 2009
New board to guide Australia migration agent regulator
The Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Senator Chris Evans, has announced the appointment of an advisory board to guide the newly established Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).
Senator Evans said the new office will provide confidence in the regulation of the Australia migration agent industry.
The board, which comprises a representative of the Migration Institute of Australia (MIA), the Law Council of Australia, community and consumer advocates, will be chaired by former lawyer and secretary of the Attorney-General's Department, Robert Cornall.
"I believe that Mr Cornall's expertise and experience in both the public and legal sectors will be fundamental to the success of the board, which in turn will play a key role in the success of the new regulatory arrangements," Senator Evans said.
Also on the board will be:
- Jenni Mack, Choice Australia, representing consumer groups and deputy chair of the board
- Sonia Caton, Refugee and Immigration Legal Service, representing the not-for-profit immigration assistance sector
- Glenn Ferguson, Ferguson Cannon Lawyers, representing the Law Council of Australia
- Robert Stirling Henry, formerly of Stirling Henry Migration Services, representing the Migration Institute of Australia
- Andrew Holloway, Victoria University, representing the university sector
- Jim McKiernan, former senator, representing the community sector.
The new Office of the MARA commenced operating as regulator of the migration advice profession on July 1. It replaces the system established in 1998 where the profession was regulated by the MIA.
Christine Sykes, CEO of the Office of the MARA, and a representative from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship will also serve on the advisory board. Other membership may be considered by the minister from time to time.
The Australian Visa Bureau is an independent consulting company specialising in helping people with their Australia visa applications.