Australian Visa Bureau   »   Visas and Immigration   »   Australia Jobs   »  Speech Pathology

Speech Pathology Association of Australia (SPAA)

If you intend to apply for migration to Australia under one of the General Skilled Migration categories, you must have a nominated occupation which is on the Skilled Occupations List at the time you apply. In order to make a valid application, you must have obtained a skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation.

SPAA is the assessing authority for the following occupation:

The Association has established educational and clinical standards that applicants are required to meet for admission to membership. Most Australian employers require applicants for speech pathology positions to demonstrate that they are eligible for membership of The Speech Pathology Association of Australia Limited. In Queensland, it is a legal requirement to register with the Speech Pathologists Board before you can practice.

Speech pathologists who trained outside of Australia can have their qualifications assessed by the Overseas Qualifications Committee of the Association to determine eligibility for membership. Applicants whose first language is not English and/or whose training was not in English may be required to sit an Occupational English Test. There is a requirement for applicants to demonstrate their competence in the area of dysphagia.

The Overseas Qualifications Task Group is obliged to ensure that applicants can demonstrate that they have the training and/or experience to be competent in dysphagia management.

Speech Pathology Australia looks for evidence that you have attained the level of competence that would enable you to work independently with dysphagia patients of any age.

The Association believes this is similar to the level of post registration dysphagia training provided in the UK.

You should provide certified evidence of your ability to work at this level. Such evidence may include:

If such evidence is not available, you will need to undertake some additional study in this area. The SPAA recommends you complete study in your country of origin to achieve the level of competence required.