Canadian Visa Bureau   »   Canadian Visas and Immigration   »   Family Immigration to Canada   »  Sponsorship Information

Sponsoring a Family Member or Relative

When you sponsor a relative or family member to become a permanent resident of Canada, you must promise to support that person and their accompanying family members for a period of 3 to 10 years, depending on their age and relationship to you.

Length of Time for Support

You must provide financial support for the relatives or family members you are sponsoring depending on their age and relationship to you.

If you are sponsoring:

Who Can Sponsor?

You may be eligible to sponsor if:

Canadian citizens not residing in Canada may sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner and/or dependent children who have no dependent children of their own. Canadians travelling abroad as tourists are not considered to be residing outside Canada.

Sponsors not residing in Canada must provide evidence that they reside exclusively outside Canada on the date of giving the undertaking and will reside in Canada at the time their sponsored spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner and/or children become permanent residents of Canada.

Evidence that they will reside in Canada may include one or more of the following:

If you reside in Quebec, there are additional conditions.

You will have to provide documents that show your financial resources for the past 12 months and prove you are financially able to sponsor members of the family class. You may solicit the help of a co-signer (must be your spouse or common-law partner).

This condition does not apply if you are sponsoring only:

You are not eligible to sponsor family or relatives for immigration to Canada if you are in default of a previous sponsorship undertaking, of an immigration loan, of court ordered support payment obligations or of a performance bond.