27 January 2009

Private servants in diplomatic households can apply for permanent residency

Under changes in the UK immigration system, the Home Office has announced a pathway for private servants working in diplomatic households to extend their stay in the UK and apply for permanent residency.

As of 27 November 2008, private servants applying for a UK work permit have to do so under the tier 5 temporary worker – international agreement sub-category of the new points-based system.

Under this new category, diplomatic household servants can request an extension to their UK visa and may be granted further extensions to their leave for up to 12 months, for up to six years.  Once the household servant has been a temporary worker in the UK for five years, they will then be able to send a UK visa application for permanent residency. 

The next formal change to the UK immigration rules in March this year will include these changes.

The UK Visa Bureau is an independent consulting company specialising in UK visa and immigration services.

Bookmark and Share