UK Visa Registration Requirements for Non-EU Nurses

Overseas qualified nurses must be registered to work in the UK. The regulatory body is called the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).

NMC Registration

  • Nurses trained overseas, outside the EU, must register through the NMC's Overseas Nursing Programme (ONP).
  • They must meet the minimum NMC education requirement, English language requirement (academic IELTS of 6.5 or over on each section) and also undergo a 20 day programme of protected learning. Furthermore, where necessary, there may be a period of supervised practice.
  • Nurses who have qualifications from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand or Canada are generally considered very highly

Post Registration Visa Application

Once the appropriate registration has been achieved, most nurses would apply for UK migration via either the work permit holder or Tier 1 - General skilled visa routes.

Work Permit

The Work Permit would generally be the fastest option for  nurses outside of the EU who already have a job offer to migrate to the UK.  For further information, view the UK Visa Bureau work permit pages.

Check If You Qualify For A Work Permit

Tier 1 - General Skilled Migration visa

The Tier 1 - General Skilled Migration visa allows non-EU citizens without a job offer to live and work in the UK.  Therefore, nurses without a job offer should use this UK immigration option.  However, before applying, Tier 1 - General Skilled Migration visa hopefuls should seek further information on the other Tier 1 - General skilled visa requirements.

Check If You Qualify For A Tier 1 (General) Skilled Migration Visa