UK Certificate of Approval

The Certificate of Approval scheme was abolished in April 2011, and officially closed on 9, May, 2011

Foreign nationals who wish to marry no longer need to obtain permission from the Home Office.

If you would like to bring family members to the UK, you may need to acquire a Family Visa.


Individuals who are subject to immigration control and who wish to marry in the UK will need to obtain permission from the Home Office in the form of a Certificate of Approval. 

Certificate of Approval Requirements

  • Three months remaining on a visa that was initially issued for longer than 6 months

Conditions of the Certificate of Approval

  • Successful applicants are granted 3 months or up until the expiry of their visa (whichever is soonest) in which to give notice to marry

 If you do not meet the above criteria you may still be able to apply for a Certificate of Approval however the application process may be more in depth. Please contact one of our consultants for further clarification regarding this. If you are not already in the UK and you wish to marry in the UK you will need to apply for entry clearance for that purpose.

Once you are married you may be eligible to apply for a Visa to remain in the UK, for example a Marriage Visa or EEA Family Permit.