More UK visa categories to be issued with identity cards

- Posted in United Kingdom by Visa Bureauon 06 January 2010

All sponsored skilled workers will be required to obtain an identity card if they apply to extend their UK Visa under Tier 2 of the points-based system.

As well as need for those extending their Tier 2 visa to obtain an identity card, the UK Border Agency also propose that under their roll out of the new requirement from the end of 2010 highly skilled and temporary workers will need to apply for an identity card when they apply to extend their stay under Tier 1 or Tier 5 of the points-based system.

By April 2011 any migrant extending their stay in the UK or coming here for more than six months will need to apply for an identity card for foreign nationals as part of their UK immigration application.

The UK Border Agency started issuing compulsory identity cards from 25 November 2008  to non-EEA foreign nationals granted further leave to remain in the UK within certain categories.

The card confirms a person’s right to work or study legitimately under the government's new points-based system for immigration and provides evidence of the holder's nationality, identity and immigration status.

Foreign nationals seeking indefinite leave to remain and the settled population remain unaffected by the changes, as do applicants in other immigration categories who continue to receive a vignette in their passport.

The UK Visa Bureau is an independent consulting company specialising in helping people lodge their UK Visa applications at the British Embassy.