English language tests for partner UK Visas to commence this month

- Posted in United Kingdom by Visa Bureauon 18 November 2010

The agency has released a video explaining the new English language requirement for migrant partners applying for a UK Visa.

From 29 November 2010, any migrant from outside the European Economic Area will need to show that they can speak and understand English if they want to enter or extend their stay in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or someone settled here. For many, this will mean taking an English language test with an approved test providers.

The new language requirement affects anyone applying as the husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner, same-sex partner, fiance(e) or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or a person settled in this country. It covers those applying to extend their stay in the UK, as well as applicants from overseas.

The video that outlines how applicants already in the UK can meet the requirement is available on the Home Office YouTube channel here.

Overseas applicants required to take a test will need to do so before they apply to come to the UK.

The UK Visa Bureau is an independent consulting company specialising in helping people with their  UK immigration  applications to the British High Commission.