Changes to the UK Certificate of Approval Scheme

- Posted in United Kingdom by Visa Bureauon 28 July 2010

A Remedial Order under the Human Rights Act 1998 has been laid in Parliament to achieve this aim.

Currently, any migrant who is already in the UK and subject to UK immigration control must apply for a Certificate of Approval before they can get married or register a civil partnership in this country (unless they are getting married within the Anglican Church).

Migrants who are subject to immigration control who wish to get married or register a civil partnership must still apply for a Certificate of Approval as the Certificate of Approval scheme remains in operation until the Remedial Order comes into force.

It is expected that the scheme will end in late 2010 or early 2011, subject to Parliamentary scrutiny.

The requirement to give notice in a designated register office is not affected by the proposed abolition of the Certificate of Approval scheme, and those who wish to marry must still give notice even after the scheme is abolished.

The UK Visa Bureau is an independent consulting company specialising in helping people with their  UK Visa applications to the British Embassy