Work Permits: Ship Crews

If you are a crew member of a chartered foreign fishing vessel you may apply for a Work Permit if you can provide evidence you hold a contract to work on a vessel in New Zealand.

These permits are issued for a maximum stay of 2 years, and are generally applied for by the employer on behalf of the crew in a joint application.

Joint applications for ship crews are assessed on the validity of the employer, as well as the individual applicant, being able to meet all criteria to qualify for a permit to stay in New Zealand.

New Zealand News