Claiming Your Tax Back - FAQ

Below are some frequently asked questions and answers containing essential information you to help you understand the tax back service.

Complete the Online Tax Refund Claim Form


Why would I be entitled to claim any tax back in the first place?

Your income tax is calculated over the year (on the basis that you will be working for the full year) and should you stop earning for a particular reason during the tax year it is likely you will be entitled to a tax refund.

For example, you could have worked the first six months of the year and then stop working because you are;

  • Travelling for the rest of the year or taking a working holiday abroad.
  • Emigrating or will be working abroad for the rest of the year
  • Returning to your home country after working in the UK

There may be other circumstances in which you are entitled to claim tax back, such as:

  • You have the wrong tax code
  • You are/were paying emergency tax,
  • You have not worked the full tax year for any reason
  • Or have worked in the construction industry on a CIS 25 basis.

How do I know how much I am entitled to claim?

How much tax back you are entitled to will depend on how much you were earning before you stopped working in the UK, how long you were working for and how much tax you paid in that time.

To make things simpler, you can estimate how much you could be entitled to with the online tax calculator.

Please note, you will need to complete the Online Tax Refund Claim Form or call one of our advisors to give you a clearer projection of how much you can claim back.

Complete the Online Tax Refund Claim Form


Will I have to submit a tax return?

Only in certain circumstances (self-assessment) would you be required to lodge a tax return, this may be the case if you are:

  • A director of a limited company
  • Self-employed
  • A construction industry workers on CIS25 basis
  • Or a high-income earner in the 40% tax bracket

In most cases applicants are only required to supply P45's or P60's to progress with a claim.

How do I know if I am paying emergency tax?

If there is a suffix or prefix on your code then you have an emergency code. The most common are; W1, M1, BR, X, WK1, MTN1.

I have already left the UK and have been living abroad for the past few years, can I still claim?

Yes, you are entitled to claim a tax refund as far back as six years ago, and you will still receive the full entitlement; there are no late lodgment penalties. If you worked in the UK at any time during 2006-2010, you can still make a claim.

Complete the Online Tax Refund Claim Form


Which documents will I have to submit?

You will need to send a P45 or P60 from each of your employers. A full working history is required. If you cannot obtain any of these documents, Tax Back will be able to obtain them for you.

Can I claim a full refund on my tax?

Full refunds are only paid if you have earned less than £7,475 (20011/2012) in the financial year. If you have earned over your tax free allowance you may still be due a substantial refund.

What is a P45/P60/CIS voucher?

A P45 is a certificate of your income indicating how much you earned and how much tax you paid on those earnings. It is a blue, three-page form, which your employer will issue to you at the end of each employment. The top page (Part 1A) is to be kept by you for when you want to claim your tax back. Pages two and three are to be handed to the next employer.

A P60 is a certificate of income issued to you at the end of the financial year indicating how much you have earned and how much tax you paid on those earnings.

A CIS Voucher. CIS stands for Construction Industry Scheme. Those working in the construction industry are issued with a CIS voucher at the end of each month and contract. This is a certificate of pay showing your income and tax paid on those earnings.

I work on a CIS 25 basis in the construction industry. Can I claim tax back?

Yes. It will benefit you to speak to an advisor to find out exactly what you can claim for as workers on a CIS 25 basis are taxed at 18 per cent and receive no tax free allowances. You may be able to claim for travel, clothing, telephone and any other work related expenses.

Complete the Online Tax Refund Claim Form


How do I start the process of claiming my tax back?

You need to contact VisaBureau TaxBack to have your situation assessed. You can do this by either:

Once you have contacted Visa Bureau TaxBack, a consultant will be able to provide a thorough assessment and answer any questions you may have.