Working Holiday in Australia: Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some FAQ containing essential information you need to know before applying for an Australia Working Holiday Visa:

Q: Do I need a visa to visit Australia?

A: Yes, Australian Immigration requires all visitors to have a visa before entering the country. If you are going to Australia on holiday, please visit the Australian Travel Visa section of the Australian Visa Bureau website.

To be eligible for a Working Holiday Visa for Australia, you must:

Apply Here For A Working Holiday

Q: Where do I apply?

A: A Working Holiday Visa cannot be granted in Australia. All Australia Working Holiday Visa applications must be made overseas.

Passport holders of 12 foreign countries (the United Kingdom, Canada, the Netherlands, the Republic of Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Italy, France, Belgium and Estonia) are able to apply for a Working Holiday Visa in any country (except Australia).

Holders of the following passports must lodge their application in their country of passport:

Holders of passports issued by the authorities of Taiwan or the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) of the People's Republic of China must apply for their visas in Hong Kong and Taiwan respectively.

Apply Here For An Australian Working Holiday

Q: Do I need a medical examination for a Working Holiday Visa?

A: All applicants are required to meet health criteria. In certain circumstances, you will be required to undergo formal health examinations.

A chest x-ray will be required if you:

A chest x-ray and a medical examination, including any specialist reports, will be required if:

Additionally, you will need to undergo HIV/Hepatitis B/Hepatitis C testing if you intend to work in the health care industry.

Working Holiday Application

Q: How long can I stay in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa?

A: A Working Holiday Visa gives you 12 months to travel to Australia from the date the visa is granted, and allows you to stay in Australia for 12 months from the date you first enter Australia.

You can leave and re-enter Australia within the 12 months from the date of initial entry to Australia. However, if you depart Australia during your 12 month stay, you are not able to recover in any way the period of time spent outside Australia.

Prior to an announcement by the Australian Government in April of 2005, the Australia Working Holiday Visa was only available once in a lifetime.

Now the Government will allow Working Holiday Visa holders the opportunity to apply for a second Working Holiday Visa provided they worked as a seasonal worker in regional Australia for a minimum of 3 months.

Apply now for your Working Holiday Maker Visa

Q: Do I need a stamp or label in my passport?

A: You will not normally need to have a visa label placed in your passport unless the Department of Immigration makes this a condition of your visa. This is because the visa is linked electronically to the passport details provided in your visa application.

However, any Working Holiday visa holder who chooses to, may have a visa label placed in their passport. This may be useful to show potential employers that you have the right to work in Australia.

There are several options to obtain a visa label, these are;

Working Holiday Visa Application

Q: What does 'seasonal worker in regional Australia' mean?

Seasonal Work: the definition of seasonal work has recently been extended to include tasks in more primary industries such as:

plant and animal cultivation fishing and pearling tree farming and felling

Regional Australia: anywhere in Australia except Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong, the NSW Central Coast, Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Perth, Melbourne or the ACT. Any area identified on the Australian JobSearch website as requiring harvest workers will come within the definition of 'regional Australia'.

The postal areas that make up the definition of 'Regional Australia' are detailed in the table below.

Regional Australia
The following postcodes are in Regional Australia:

New South Wales

2311 to 2312
2328 to 2411
2420 to 2490
2536 to 2551
2575 to 2594
2618 to 2739
2787 to 2898

Northern Territory

Entire State


4124 to 4125
4270 to 4272
4307 to 4499
4517 to 4519
4522 to 4899

South Australia

Entire State


Entire State


3211 to 3334
3340 to 3424
3430 to 3649
3658 to 3749
3753, 3756, 3758, 3762, 3764
3778 to 3781
3783, 3797, 3799
3810 to 3909
3921 to 3925
3945 to 3974
3981 to 3996

Australian Working Holiday Application

Q: Can I study in Australia on my Working Holiday Visa?

A: Working Holiday Visa holders are permitted to study or train for up to 4 months.

Apply Here For Working Holiday

Q: Do I need travel or health insurance?

A: Medical treatment in Australia can be very expensive and it is advisable to have both travel and health insurance. Visa Bureau recommend our selected partner, Walkabout Insurance, who offer comprehensive cover at a competitive price.

Australia Working Holiday

Q: Can I change to another visa?

A: You can apply to change your Working Holiday status while you are in Australia if you meet the requirements for another visa. Commonly, the choice for WHM visa holders is the SIR (Provisional) visa.

As of 1 November 2005, the regulations have been amended to provide that applicants for SIR (Provisional) visas who hold Working Holiday Maker visas do not need to satisfy the recent work experience requirements. They must, however, satisfy the age, English language, health and character requirements, and have complied with the conditions of their previously held visa. More information on the SIR (Provisional) can be found in the Skilled Migration Australia section of this website.

Note: Working Holiday Visa holders are able to meet the criteria for grant of a Visitor Visa to enable a longer stay in Australia only if exceptional circumstances exist. Additionally, people with another type of visa cannot change to a Working Holiday Visa in Australia.

Apply Here For An Australian Working Holiday Visa

Q: What is superannuation?

A: If your monthly wage is more than $AUD450 as a Working Holiday Visa holder in Australia, your employer must contribute an amount equal to 9% of your wage into a superannuation account for you.

Australians generally cannot access these contributions until they reach retirement age. However, as a Working Holiday Visa holder in Australia you can, in most cases, access your contributions earlier, although the money will be taxed.

Australia Working Holiday Visa Assessment