Working Holiday Visa - FAQ's

Working Holiday Visa - FAQ's

Working Holiday in Australia: Frequently Asked Questions

Need help deciding which visa you need? 

Still confused about which travel visa you require for your trip to Australia?  Use our fast, easy online travel visa advisor to find out exactly which visas you are eligible for when travelling to Australia.

Just want to apply?

You can apply online for your Australian Working Holiday by using our Online Application:

Apply for a Working Holiday Visa

Below are some FAQ containing essential information you need to know before applying for an Australia Working Holiday Visa:

Q: Do I need a visa to visit Australia?

A: Yes, Australian Immigration requires all visitors to have a visa before entering the country. If you are going to Australia on holiday, please visit the Australian Travel Visa section of the Australian Visa Bureau website.

Q: Am I eligible for a Working Holiday Visa for Australia?

To be eligible for a Working Holiday Visa for Australia, you must:

  • Be aged between 18 and 30 years old (except for for Canadian, Irish and French passport holders who can be between 18 and 35);
  • Have no dependent children that will travel with you;
  • Be an eligible passport holder;
  • Be going to Australia for the sole purpose of holidaying (any work undertaken is purely for financial support while travelling);
  • Be able to show sufficient funds for a return or onward fare as well as sufficient funds for the first part of your stay.

Q: Where do I apply?

A: A Working Holiday Visa cannot be granted in Australia. All Australia Working Holiday Visa applications must be made overseas.

Passport holders of the following 14 foreign countries are able to apply for a Working Holiday Visa in any country (except Australia): 

  • United Kingdom
  • Canada
  • Netherlands
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Sweden
  • Denmark
  • Norway
  • Finland
  • Italy
  • France
  • Malta
  • Germany
  • Belgium
  • Estonia

Holders of passports from Japan, The Republic of Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong must be in their country of passport at the time their application is submitted. 

Holders of passports from The Republic of Cyprus are not eligible to apply for an electronic working holiday visa, and must lodge their application with their resident Australian Government office.

Q: Do I need a medical examination for a Working Holiday Visa?

A: All applicants are required to meet health criteria. In certain circumstances, you will be required to undergo formal health examinations.

A chest x-ray and a medical examination, including any specialist reports, may be required if:

  • You are a resident of a country considered to be of a very high health risk in terms of tuberculosis (the United Kingdom, Canada, the Netherlands, the Republic of Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Italy, France and Belgium are NOT considered high risk);
  • You have spent more than 3 consecutive months in the last 5 years in a country or countries considered to be of a very high health risk in terms of tuberculosis;
  • You are likely to enter an Australian hospital or health care area (including nursing homes);
  • You are likely to be engaged in an Australian child care centre (including preschools or creches) as either an employee or trainee;
  • You expect to incur any medical costs, or require any treatment or follow up during your time in Australia;
  • There is an indication you may not meet the health criteria; or
  • You are likely to work or study in a classroom environment for more than 4 weeks and hold a passport from a country considered to be of a very high health risk in terms of tuberculosis.

Additionally, you will need to undergo HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C testing if you intend to work in the health care industry.

Depending on the circumstances, the Australian Government retains the right to add further health requirements at the discretion of the visa processing officer. Further information can be found on the DOHA Website.

Q: What are the financial requirements of the Working Holiday Visa?

A: You need to have access to sufficient funds to support yourself at least for the initial stage of your holiday in Australia; You will be asked for evidence that you will have this as part of the application process and you may also be asked to show evidence of this on arrival to satisfy immigration officials.

The Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) regard a sufficient amount as being a minimum of AUD$5,000, although the amount may vary depending on your length of stay and how much travelling you intend to do. You should also have either a return or onward ticket, or at least the funds for a fare to depart Australia if travelling on a one way ticket.

Evidence may include a recent bank statement and an air ticket out of Australia.

Q: How long can I stay in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa?

A: A Working Holiday Visa gives you 12 months to travel to Australia from the date the visa is granted, and allows you to stay in Australia for 12 months from the date you first enter Australia.

You can leave and re-enter Australia within the 12 months from the date of initial entry to Australia. However, if you depart Australia during your 12 month stay, you are not able to recover in any way the period of time spent outside Australia.

Working holiday makers who have been employed in specified work in regional Australia for a minimum of three months will be eligible to apply for a second working holiday visa, allowing them to stay in Australia for a further 12 months, provided they continue to meet the working holiday eligibility requirements.

Specified work includes plant / animal cultivation, fishing, tree farming, mining and construction work.  A full list is available on our Second Year Visa page.

Q: Do I need a stamp or label in my passport?

A: You will not need to have a visa label placed in your passport. This is because the visa is linked electronically to the passport details provided in your visa application.

Q: Are there any other ways to demonstrate my visa's validity to employers?

You should be aware of the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service, which allows you, and certain third parties (e.g. employers) to check your visa information. However, they may only do so provided they obtain your consent, which you can do by providing the third party with your name, date of birth, passport number and passport country of issue.

Q: What does 'specified worker in regional Australia' mean?

Specified Work: the definition of specified work includes tasks in more primary industries such as plant and animal cultivation, felling trees, fishing and pearling, mining and construction, a full list can be found on our Second Year Visa page.

The most common form of specified work however, is fruit picking and other seasonal farm work. You can find more info on looking for work in these areas on our Farm Work Australia page. 

Regional Australia: Every state has its own specified postcodes which are eligible as regional Australia, some states such as South Australia and Tasmania count as regional Australia in their entirety, while others such as Western Australia simply require you to avoid the more populated areas like Perth.

The postal areas that make up the definition of 'Regional Australia' can be found on our Second Year Visa page.

Q: Can I study in Australia on my Working Holiday Visa?

A: Working Holiday Visa holders are permitted to study or train for up to four months.

Q: Can I apply for a Working Holiday Visa if I have previously been granted a Subclass 462 (Work and Holiday) visa?

A: No. Previously, a person with dual citizenship and a passport from both one of the Subclass 417 (Working Holiday) visa eligible countries as well as a passport from one of the Subclass 462 (Work and Holiday) visa eligible countries (i.e. Chile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey or the USA) could potentially apply for both visa subclasses.

However, legislation has now been introduced to prevent a person who has previously been in Australia as the holder of a Subclass 462 (Work and Holiday) visa from applying for a Subclass 417 (Working Holiday) visa (and vice versa).

Q: Do I need travel or health insurance?

A: Medical treatment in Australia can be very expensive and it is advisable to have both travel and health insurance. Visa Bureau recommends our selected partner Columbus Direct, who offer comprehensive cover at a competitive price, with a 10% discount available exclusively to Visa Bureau clients.

Q: What is superannuation?

A: If your monthly wage is more than $AU450 as a Working Holiday Visa holder in Australia, your employer must contribute an amount equal to 9% of your wage into a superannuation account for you.

Australians generally cannot access these contributions until they reach retirement age. However, as a Working Holiday Visa holder in Australia you can, in most cases, access your contributions earlier, although the money will be taxed.

View the current travel restrictions and entry requirements for the countries we provide visas for.

Read More

Working Holiday Visa

Are you between the ages of 18 and 30 (35 for Canadian, French, and Irish Citizens)? You may be eligible for a Working Holiday Visa.

Apply Now

Platinum Card Offers & Discounts

Our WHV clients can access their discounts and offers on our Platinum Card website

Working Holiday Guide

The Australia Working Holiday Guide is given to all Visa Bureau WHV clients and features details on over hundreds of dollars worth of discounts available to Australian Visa Bureau clients, ranging from free nights of accommodation to a free surf lesson and discount adventure tours! 

You'll also get your exclusive Visa Bureau Platinum Card and access to the Platinum Card site!

Apply Now