Teaching Jobs: Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL)

If you intend to apply for migration to Australia under one of the General Skilled Migration categories, you must have a nominated occupation which is on the Skilled Occupations List at the time you apply. In order to make a valid application, you must have obtained a skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation.

The Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) is the assessing authority for the following occupations:

  • Pre-primary School Teacher;
  • Primary School Teacher; and
  • Secondary School Teacher.

Professional and Educational Requirements

A qualification will be assessed by AITSL (formerly known as Teaching Australia) as comparable to an Australian Bachelor Degree or higher. Teaching Australia assesses the educational level of your qualifications against the guidelines published in the Country Education Profile (CEP) series. CEPs are currently published for about 90 individual countries.

Please note that CEPs are constantly being updated. Your qualifications will be assessed against the latest information available to AITSL. At times this will include information that has not yet been published by AITSL in the CEPs.

If there is no CEP for a country or your qualifications are not covered by the guidelines of an existing CEP, your qualifications can still be assessed on an individual basis by AITSL.

In addition, you must:

  • Have completed study comparable to at least a 4 year full-time tertiary level qualification (or the part-time equivalent) in Australia;
  • Have completed at least 1 year of full-time (or part-time equivalent) tertiary level pre-service professional teaching studies related to your nominated teaching occupation included in your studies. Appropriate studies include theoretical and practical subjects with a clear relation to initial teacher education;
  • Have completed at least 6 weeks (30 days) of supervised teaching practice related to your nominated teaching occupation. You must include evidence of this with your application;
  • Be currently qualified and/or licensed to teach in the country where you obtained your qualifications or where you are currently teaching. You must provide written evidence from an appropriate official teacher licensing or employment authority from the country where you obtained your teaching qualifications or from the country where you are currently teaching; and
  • Meet all English language requirements.

Online Immigration Assessment

Free online immigration assessment.

Apply Now

Migration Seminars 2019

Professional and comprehensive visa information events in Manchester, London & Edinburgh.

Read More

VETASSESS Trade Skills Applications

We host technical interviews for skills assessments in our London or Edinburgh offices.

Read More