Pilots: Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA)

Pilots are no longer on the Australian Skilled Occupation List (SOL), so are no longer eligible for Australian skilled migration.

CASA is the assessing authority for the following occupations:

  • Professional Aircraft Pilots

It should be noted that skills assessments have no bearing on your prospects for employment, or on the likelihood of you obtaining the Australian licence or achieving residency status. The assessment merely confirms whether the qualifications presented are suitable or unsuitable for the occupation nominated.

To convert to the Australian licence, you will be required to pass various examinations to determine your level of skill, knowledge and medical fitness. Whilst medical examinations can be completed outside Australia with approved examiners, the remaining examinations can only be conducted in Australia.

You will therefore need to apply for a temporary visa to enable you to travel to Australia, complete the conversion requirements and obtain the licence before submitting a formal application for migration. A 3 month visa is usually sufficient and allows for familiarisation and conversion training as well as contingencies such as bad weather, aircraft unserviceability and additional exam attempts should you fail the first time around.


The term aircraft pilot embraces commercial pilot licences (CPL) and air transport pilot licences (ATPL). To be recognised, the licence must have been issued by the responsible authority of a Contracting State which is an ICAO signatory and award privileges that equate to that of an Australian licence. An overseas pilot licence may be deemed equivalent to an Australian ATPL or CPL if it authorises the holder to fly aircraft as pilot in command in air transport operations or commercial operations respectively.

Pilot licences issued by non-Contracting States cannot be recognised under Australian aviation legislation. Similarly, tertiary qualifications or aviation related experience cannot be accepted in lieu of a CPL or ATPL.


You must provide certified true copies of your pilot licence, medical certificate and flight radiotelephone operator licence (if separate) for the assessment. Original documents must be presented to CASA together with your log book(s) either prior to or at the time of issue of the pilot licence.

For aeroplanes that have a maximum take-off weight equalling or greater than 5700kg or helicopters greater than 2750kg, this evidence should include a copy of the training syllabus and ground engineering certificate.

English Language Requirements

As part of the migration process you are awarded points on English language ability. You may need to sit an IELTS test to demonstrate this ability. While CASA does not impose a further occupational English test, during conversion training, you will be assessed on your ability to communicate effectively with air traffic control and other aircraft using standard aeronautical phraseology in both normal and emergency flight conditions.

Time Frames

Applications for assessments are usually processed within 2 to 3 weeks of receipt, although this can vary according to demand and other work priorities.

Online Immigration Assessment

Free online immigration assessment.

Apply Now

Migration Seminars 2019

Professional and comprehensive visa information events in Manchester, London & Edinburgh.

Read More

VETASSESS Trade Skills Applications

We host technical interviews for skills assessments in our London or Edinburgh offices.

Read More