30 January 2009

Australian mining towns looking to tourism for income

Experts have warned mining towns in remote parts of Australia to diversify their income base while they are feeling the effects of the global recession, reports ABC News.

As the mining industry is suffering from job losses, regional development specialist Peter Kenyon said local communities that rely on the income from mining need to expand their opportunities so they do not suffer indirectly from the global financial slowdown.

Kenyon suggested tourism would be a viable option to keep the communities afloat.

"Tourism ain't a Mickey Mouse industry.  It is actually the world's biggest industry," he says.

"It is an industry that many, many country towns across Australia have actually embraced, alongside a whole pile of other options."

All tourists to Australia – except for New Zealand nationals – need to apply for an Australian holiday visa in order to visit the country.  For those from eligible countries, the Australian ETA visa is a simple, instantaneous holiday visa that allows people to holiday in Australia for up to three months.  For all others, an Australian travel visa is necessary for a holiday in Australia, which will allow the holder to travel in Australia for up to twelve months and study for up to three of those twelve months.

The Australian Visa Bureau is an independent consulting company specialising in helping people with emigrating to Australia.

Digg del.icio.us FURL Reddit Yahoo!