Australian Visa Bureau   »   Visas and Immigration   »   Spouse and Family Visas   »   Parent Visa   »  Contributory Parent

Contributory Parent Visa for Australia

Visa Bureau is not affiliated with the Australian Government but is a website.

There are 4 visa subclasses in the Contributory Parent category.

Parents residing outside Australia can apply for:

Applicants for a visa in the Contributory Parent category must be sponsored. Parents are generally sponsored by their child, who must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

Parents residing in Australia can apply for:

Applicants for a visa in the Contributory Aged category must be aged, in that they are old enough to be granted an Australian Age Pension.

Parents who are in Australia and who do not meet the age requirement may apply to the Perth Offshore Parents Centre (POPC) for a subclass 143 Contributory Parent or subclass 173 Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa, as long as they are not specifically barred from lodging an application while they are in Australia.

Persons lodging an application at the POPC should note that they are not eligible for the grant of an associated Bridging Visa to remain in Australia while their application is being processed.

Note: For temporary Contributory Parent Visa holders applying for the corresponding permanent visa, there are some exceptions to the requirement to be outside Australia at the time of grant of the permanent visa.

Temporary Visas in the Contributory Parent Category

A parent can apply for either a permanent or a temporary visa in the Contributory Parent category. The temporary visa is valid for 2 years and provides access to Medicare and full work rights. A temporary Contributory Parent Visa cannot be extended or renewed.

A holder of a temporary visa in the Contributory Parent category can apply for the corresponding permanent Contributory Parent Visa at any time during the 2 years, and by doing so obtain certain concessions.

Contributory Parent Visa Requirements

Generally, the following criteria must be met to qualify for visas in the Contributory Parent category:

An Assurance of Support and an Assurance of Support bond (held for 10 years) must be provided for people applying for a permanent visa in the Contributory Parent category. Lodgement of the bond is not required until just before grant of a visa.

Withdrawal of Any Other Parent Visa Application

To make an acceptable application for another type of visa in the Parent or Contributory Parent categories, the applicant must withdraw any existing application for a visa in those categories that have not yet been decided by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).