The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP)
Australian visas are available from the Australian Government at a lower cost or for free when you apply directly. Our comprehensive visa and immigration information include immigration advice from registered migration agents, an exceptional success rate, document checking and visa processing.
The purpose of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) is to 'enrich Australia through the well managed entry and settlement of people'.
Originally titled the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) until September, 2013, DIBP has managed the arrival and settlement in Australia of nearly seven million migrants from 200 countries, including more than 700 000 refugees under the Humanitarian Program, since its establishment in 1945.
The Department's key objectives, as set out in The DIAC Plan are to:
- Contribute to Australia’s future through managed migration;
- Protect refugees and contribute to humanitarian policy internationally;
- Contribute to Australia’s security through border management and traveller facilitation;
- Make fair and reasonable decisions for people entering and leaving Australia — ensuring compliance with Australia’s immigration laws and integrity in decision making;
- Support migrants and refugees to settle in the community and participate in Australian society; AND
- Promote Australian citizenship and a multicultural Australia.
Some of the visas processed by DIBP include:
Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) and Visitor Visa
- The ETA replaces the visa label or stamp in a passport and removes the need for application forms. If you are taking a holiday in Australia for less than 3 months, you are required to obtain a Tourist or Visitor Visa prior to travelling.
Apply here for an ETA visa
Information on tourist and travel visas
Working Holiday Maker Visa
- The Australian Working Holiday Visa gives young people between the ages of 18 and 30 the opportunity to work while travelling in Australia for a period of 12 to 24 months.
Apply here for an Australian Working Holiday
Information on Working Holiday visas
- The Skilled Independent Visa is a permanent visa for skilled people wishing to live and work in Australia. The visa grants work and settlement rights for anywhere in Australia, but carries the highest points pass mark of any Australian visa.
Skilled Visa Online Assessment
Information on Skilled Visas