26 July 2006
New Zealand Working Holiday Scheme open to thousands more Americans
New Zealand is set to massively increase the number of young Americans eligible to take part in the Working Holiday Maker Scheme from 1,000 to 5,000.
The New Zealand Working Holiday Scheme is a once in a lifetime opportunity that provides successful applicants with a visa that allows them to travel and work in the country for a maximum of 12 months, which is twice as generous as its Australian equivalent.
Announcing the increased quota for Americans, New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters said: "The increase in the quota reflects the strengthening of the relationship between the United States and New Zealand and the fact that the scheme has been so successful since it began in 2004, that it has been oversubscribed every year."
United States Ambassador Bill McCormick welcomed New Zealand's increase and said the scheme offered fantastic opportunities for Americans.
"As a result of this announcement, in the coming year, five times as many young Americans will be able to gain from the invaluable experience of living and working in New Zealand on a working holiday visa," he said.
"My wife Gail spent a year in New Zealand back in the early seventies and I know just how much she values that experience.
"Like other young Americans who have spent time here Gail made life-long friendships and learnt so much from listening to, and living among, New Zealanders. Gail and her Kiwi hosts have benefited enormously from developing a mutual understanding of one another's cultures and yesterday's announcement is a chance for others to enjoy similar benefits."
To be eligible for the United States Working Holiday Maker Scheme to New Zealand you must:
- have a passport from the United States of America that‘s valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand
- be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old
- not bring children with you
- hold a return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket
- have a minimum of NZ$4,200 available funds to meet your living costs while you’re here
- meet health and character requirements
- hold medical and comprehensive hospitalisation insurance for the length of your stay
- not have been approved a visa permit under a Working Holiday Scheme before.
The Working Holiday Scheme is also available to citizens of 25 nations, including the United Kingdom, Ireland, Denmark, Italy, the Netherlands, Canada and France.
To see if you are eligible for a Working Holiday Visa to New Zealand and to apply, see our Working Holiday Visa pages.