09 February 2010

Australian student visa holders still have options for permanent residence

Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Senator Chris Evans, has said overseas students who are currently studying in Australia will still have options for permanent residence if they have the skills and qualifications needed by employers.

Australian Student Visa

Students studying in Australia have been reassured that they will still have an option to seek permanent residency if their occupation is on the new Skilled Occupations List.

The comments came only a day after the announcement of major changes to the Australian skilled migration program, including the process by which an overseas student can seek permanent residence.

International students currently studying in Australia who hold a vocational, higher education or postgraduate student visa will still be able to apply for permanent residence if their occupation is on the new Skilled Occupations List (SOL), which will be announced mid-2010.

The new SOL will focus on addressing Australia’s future skills needs, and aim to deliver a mix of professions and trades in areas such as healthcare, engineering and mining.

Those overseas students currently studying a course in an occupation that is not on the new SOL will have until the end of 2012 to apply for a temporary skilled graduate visa.

The temporary skilled graduate visa will enable holders to spend up to 18 months in Australia to acquire work experience and find an Australian employer willing to be a sponsor on completion of their course.

 “Australia welcomes international students and will continue to provide an opportunity for those who have the necessary qualifications and skills to find an Australian employer willing to sponsor them for a permanent visa,” the minister said in a media release.

The Australian Visa Bureau is an independent consulting company specialising in helping people lodge their Australian Visa applications with the Australian Embassy.  

Bookmark and Share